Forklift Driver Jobs Description and Duties
If you are looking for Forklift Driver Jobs, you have come to the right place. Freerecruit.co.za is a free online job posting site for employers to post job vacancies and for candidates like yourself to find employment. Browse through all our current driving jobs to see if there are any current forklift driver jobs. Remember that companies do post new jobs every day, so set up job alerts to be notified of any new forklift driver jobs.
Forklift Driver Job Description
A forklift operator is also referred to as a forklift driver. Forklift drivers typically operate industrial forklifts to move, store and load materials. Forklift drivers normally work in warehouses or stores. They can, however, be found in various industries.
The different types of forklifts
Forklifts can be powered by diesel, gas, or battery. Each of these has its pros and cons’. Battery-powered forklifts have lower running and maintenance costs. They are however slower but do not produce harmful gases or vapors. Gas or Diesel-powered forklifts are faster but more costly to maintain. The price of fuel is also expensive. Various types of forklifts include:
- Three-wheel counterbalance lift trucks
- Counterbalance lift trucks
- Powered pallet lift trucks
- Pump trucks, or hand pallet lift trucks
- Reach trucks
The load-carrying capacity of forklifts does differ. Most frequently used forklifts haul loads of one to five tons. Larger forklifts have a load capacity of up to 50 tons.
Forklift driver jobs duties
- Perform post-lifting, securing, transferring, and positioning activities.
- Prepare for lifting, securing, transferring, and positioning of loads.
- Operating the forklift.
- Loading, unloading, shipping, and receiving materials.
- Transporting of materials to different locations.
- Optimizing loads to ensure operational efficiency.
- Performing inspections on vehicles for damages.
- Scheduling forklifts for repairs and maintenance.
- Utilizing RF scanning equipment.
- Picking orders for dispatch.
- Ensure working environments are free of any hazards.
- Adhering to all safety regulations.
- Reduce wear and tear on forklifts.
Forklift driver requirements
According to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, all lifting machinery or equipment operators must be trained by accredited providers. The prerequisite for attending a forklift training course is a recent medical certificate and a high school diploma or equivalent. The following aptitudes and/or natural abilities will be beneficial too:
- Excellent hand-eye coordination.
- Competent in operating machinery and RF scanners.
- Mathematical aptitude.
- Strong organisational skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Physically fit and able.
- Able to judge heights and distances meticulously.
- Safety conscience.
Possible industries forklift drivers can find jobs
- Building and construction
- Warehousing and Distribution
- Imports and Exports
Working as a forklift driver affords you the opportunity to gain entry into various industries. With some hard work and additional training, you can also progress in this career. If you are ready to start your career as a forklift driver, you can find some opportunities on freerecruit.co.za.
As a jobseeker you can Register your CV free to showcase your talent and be found by recruiters hiring.
If you are a recruiter or a company looking to fill a position, you may post jobs for free on our free online job posting site.