Reasons Why You Should Register Your CV Online
Whether you are looking for your first job or wanting to change careers, register your cv online has become a crucial part of the process.
A majority of the larger national and international companies have their own career page. They post job vacancies on their site and do not often make use of third-party career sites. So if you can imagine trying to sift through each of these companies’ career pages searching for jobs. It could take days if not weeks, which most job-seekers do not have time for. At freerecruit.co.za we extract jobs from all of these career pages and place them on our site. This makes it easier for a job-seeker and can save them a lot of time.
Companies or Recruiters do not always advertise their current job vacancies. We have found that many of them use our site to view candidate cv or resumes. If they like what they see and the candidate’s skills match the company’s needs, they will contact the candidate directly. This recruitment strategy is known as “headhunting”. Rather than hoping to attract the right candidate via a job post, recruiters actively search for the right people for the role. They do this via various online platforms such as freerecruit.co.za.
Whether you like it or not, registering your cv with a job board has become a necessity. In this article, we will explain everything you need to know about registering your cv online. We will also provide you with a link to our user guide on registering your cv for free.
The benefits when you register your cv online
When you register your cv with an online job board, it has many benefits. One of the main reasons is that it gives the job-seeker an opportunity to showcase their talent to prospective employers.
Some recruiters do not like to receive thousands of email applications. Their mailboxes become flooded and it takes them time to sift through all of the candidates. For a recruiter having to screen all these applications is extremely time-consuming. To overcome this a number of employers use job boards to search for cv of suitable candidates for their job vacancies.
Other advantages of registering your cv online are:
- As a job seeker, you will be visible to thousands of companies and recruiters looking to fill their vacancies.
- You do not need to have a “hard copy” of your cv. This means you can save on printing, scanning, faxing or emailing your cv.
- It’s a good way for recruiters to find you.
- You can apply to jobs by sending the recruiter a link to your online cv.
- Recruiters can contact candidates directly via private message.
- Job seekers can set up job alerts. This means that all new jobs are emailed to you and you can be one of the first candidates to apply for the job.
- An easier way to keep track of and manage your job applications.
- Candidates can apply for jobs from anywhere.
- If you are new to the job market, you can create your cv online for free. Freerecruit has an online form that candidates use to input their personal and career details.
- As a job seeker, you can hide your cv. Perhaps you are working on a contract and don’t want to receive a request from recruiters for that time.
Registering with a job board
With all job boards before you are able to register your CV, you will have to create an account first. To create an account go to freerecruit.co.za and follow the steps below:
- On the top right-hand side of the screen, click on register.
- Make sure the Candidate block is green.
- Enter a username that is unique to you.
- Then fill in your email address. Please make sure you enter the correct email address with no spelling mistakes.
- Then click in the I’m not a robot box to confirm you are human.
- And finally, click on the Register your account block.
- You will automatically now be logged in as a user of the system. Your password will be sent to your email address. If you do not receive it, please check your spam folder.
How to register your CV online for free
- Move over to “For Job Seekers” in the menu above, then click on “Register CV”. (https://www.freerecruit.co.za/submit-resume/)
- Scroll down the page and complete all fields. Please remember that the more information you provide will make your CV more attractive to future employers. Make sure that you list all your education and experience. Also, make sure that your contact details are accurate and up-to-date.
- Once you have completed all the fields, click on the Preview button.
- On the next page, double-check that all your information is correct and up-to-date. Check your contact details again and make sure your grammar and spelling are all correct.
- If you are happy, then click on the Submit Resume block.
- Well done! Your online CV/Resume is now live and visible to employers.
Tips when you register your CV online
- Because there are a lot of candidates looking for jobs, you need to stand out.
- Include a professional photo.
- Include your work history as well as your education.
- Include a cover letter or overview.
- Try to match your skills and abilities to the job requirements.
- Keep your CV up to date, don’t forget to add any new skills you have acquired.
- describe your achievements.
- Check for spelling and grammar mistakes.
- It’s crucial that you provide the correct contact details.
Create your online profile
- Move over to “For Job Seekers” in the menu above, then click on “My Profile”. (https://www.freerecruit.co.za/my-profile/)
- Complete all fields and then click on the Save Changes box.
Your profile is now complete. This information can be changed/updated at any time by following the steps above.
“The brick walls are there for a reason. The brick walls are not there to keep us out. The brick walls are there to show us how badly we want something.”—Randy Pausch
Frequently asked questions:
How long does it take to create your online CV
It should not take longer than a few minutes. If you already have your cv in text or pdf document, can simply copy and paste the information.
Do I need to create my online cv every time I apply for a job?
No, this is only done once. Your cv will be saved for future applications.
Can I make changes to my online cv?
Yes you can. This is quick and easy to do. You just log into your profile, select your cv and make your changes online.
How can I set up a job alert?
Companies do post new jobs every day, so we suggest that you set up job alerts. Job Alerts will notify you via email of any new jobs that become available based on your criteria. So for example, if you are looking for an Admin Job in Johannesburg, you can set up an alert based on that criteria, and the system will send you an email when any new Admin Jobs in Johannesburg become available on the site.
To set up Job Alerts, follow these steps:
- Move over to “For Job Seekers” in the menu above, then click on “Create Job Alerts”. (https://www.freerecruit.co.za/job-alerts/)
- Scroll down and click on the “Add Alert” green button.
Job seekers can add a variety of job alerts at freerecruit to find their next job
- You will then be directed to the “Add alert” form.
- Give the alert a name. e.g. My Admin job alert.
- Optionally add a keyword. e.g Admin or administration.
- Enter a location. e.g Johannesburg
- Select the Category by clicking in the box. This will give you a drop-down with options e.g Administration & Clerical Jobs.
- You can then select a Job type. This is optional. e.g Full Time
- Then in the last box, you can set up the email frequency. So if you would like this alert sent to you Daily, then select daily. Monthly will send it once a month and weekly, once a week.
- Click on the Save Alert box.
- Well done! You have now set a job alert and will start receiving them directly to your email inbox.
“In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” —Albert Einstein
Freerecruit.co.za is a free recruitment platform for companies to post jobs online for free and for job seekers to find jobs. At freerecruit, we are driven by the extremely high unemployment rate within South Africa. Our aim is to help curb this by bridging the gap between companies and job seekers.
If you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Youtube video tutorials:
Video Tutorial 1: How to register at freerecruit co za
Video Tutorial 2: How to create a profile on freerecruit co za
Video Tutorial 3: How to create your free online CV at freerecruit co za
Video Tutorial 4: How to create Job Alerts