Bank Teller Jobs: Description, Duties and Requirements
Working as a Bank Teller
Bank teller jobs. A bank teller is an employee of a bank who deals directly with most customers. In some places, this employee is known as a cashier or customer representative. Minimal education is required but most bank teller jobs require experience with handling cash and a high school diploma. Most banks provide on-the-job training or learnerships.
Bank Tellers are considered the “front line” in the banking sector because they are the first people that a customer sees at the bank.
Find banking jobs now on freerecruit.co.za.
Responsibilities of a bank teller
Being a bank teller, you are most likely to detect and stop fraudulent transactions in order to prevent losses at the bank (counterfeit currency and checks, identity theft, and other fraudulent transactions ). The position also requires tellers to be friendly and professional and interact with customers, providing them with information about customers’ accounts and other banking services.
Bank Tellers typically work from a station, usually located on a Teller Line. Most stations have a teller system, which includes cash drawers, receipt validator/printers, money scales, proof work sorters, and paperwork used for completing bank transactions. These transactions include:
- Check cashing, depositing, transfers, wire transfers,
- Savings deposits, withdrawals,
- Issuing negotiable items (cashier’s checks, traveler’s cheques, money orders, etc.)
- Payment collecting and deposits,
- Promotion of the financial institution’s products (loans, mortgages, IInsurances, etc.),
- Business referrals (trust, insurance, lending, etc.),
- Cash advances,
- Savings bond redemption. Paper savings bonds can no longer be purchased, only electronic bonds are available for purchase now, so banks can no longer issue bonds,
- Resolving customer issues,
- Balancing the vault, cash drawers, ATMs,
- Batching and Processing Proof Work,
- May include ordering products for the customer,
Bank teller jobs requirements
- Education – high school diploma and on-the-job training,
- Attention to Detail – Was that a ten, a fifty, or a one hundred Rand note that you just counted? Uh-oh… Bank tellers need to be able to process large sums accurately and quickly. If you constantly have to recount or are making errors, you aren’t going to last very long,
- Friendly, patient, and professional attitude – People get touchy about their money. Be prepared to take on stressed, excited, angry, and nervous people with calm confidence.
- Prior experience as a customer service representative or retail cashier can give you valuable experience for a bank teller job,
- Dress the part – Bank tellers are expected to show up to work in business casual attire,
Extra bank teller jobs benefits
- Work environment – Air-conditioned, quiet, peaceful, and usually sitting comfortably all day,
- Resume builder – Success as a bank teller shows future employers you are trustworthy and organized,
- Benefits – Most banks provide employee benefits packages plus preferential banking rates,
- Finance & Insurance – This is your foot in the door to the wide-open opportunities of the Finance and Insurance industry, take the leap it is worth it !!
Find bank teller jobs now on freerecruit.co.za